Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Like Magic

When I first started knitting, I got a few how-to books and looked over the basics, and when I came across the suggestion that my knits should be blocked I had no idea what on earth they were talking about. So I looked into it a little bit further and when I found out I had to immerse my newly hand knit object into water, I was like "What???? You mean I have to put this into water? This thing that I just spent hours and hours knitting by hand." I called my grandmother, who is a veteran knitter, and asked her. Her reply was "Yes. Definitely." So I did it. And it worked. Of course. I was amazed at how lovely my stitches looked after blocking and I have been a firm believer and blocker ever since.

Remember that lumpy, bumpy aran sweater I've been working on? Well, I finally finished the back and this is what it looked like:

And then I blocked it and now it looks like this:

I am still amazed everytime. Its like magic. Now, I'm excited to finish this!

No comments: