Monday, January 3, 2011

FO: Marled Hat, Scarf, and Mitten Set


Ever since last year I have been wanting to knit a hat, scarf and mitten set for my son. As a knitter, I find that there are patterns for each separately but never as a collection and I wanted his things to match. So I decided to keep it simple and take basic patterns and knit them all in the same yarns. Back in October I took him to the yarn store so that he could pick out some yarn with me and we both decided on a very cool marled yarn with a bright orange as a contrast color. (Yes - he's pretty good about that as a 4 year old for about 2 minutes and then he likes to get into things like buttons and baskets of yarn balls and I am running around the yarn store after him and telling him not to touch anything while still trying to look at yarn for myself.)

Pattern: Watch Cap by Melinda Goodfellow of Yankee Knitter Designs

Pattern: 2 x 2 Rib Scarf by Me (no pattern needed)

Pattern: Mittens by Melinda Goodfellow of Yankee Knitter Designs - I customized this pattern by adding the stripes!
Notice how there is only one mitten - I did knit two of them. A couple of days after I finished these , my son lost both of them on the street outside of our apartment. I was pretty upset about this as you can imagine. A few days later I happened to find one of them on the sidewalk and I searched up and down the block for the other one without any luck. I still need to knit him another mitten - good thing I have extra yarn! I have been looking for those little clips that will attach the mittens to his coat but I cannot find them anywhere!

The yarn used for this set is Cascade 220 Wool in the colors Charcoal Twist and Tangerine Heather and all were knit on size US 7 needles. I love how these turned out. This is a nice, basic set that I think he can get at least a few years of wear before he grows out of them.

3 comments:

Julie said...

That is such an aweomse set. The colours and yarn choices are so good- this looks really modern and professional, and I can't think of even a grown man that wouldn't love a set like that! Your son is super cute in his new knits, for sure.

Sue said...

What a fantastic set. I love the colors of the marled yarn with the orange too. Pity he lost one mitten already. I hope you find it or perhaps knit 2 so if he loses another one you will know you have one extra!

Anonymous said...

What a cute little guy :)