Wednesday, February 6, 2013

F. O.: Cables and Lace Beret

This is the start of my attempt to catch up with this blog and to post about all of the knits that have been left out for so long. The first of which is the Cables and Lace Beret - that I finished in July last year. After my niece, who was turning thirteen, saw the hat that I knit for my mom, she requested one for her birthday. I decided on something that looked a little bit younger, a little bit slouchier - so I went with the Cables and Lace Beret by Michele Wang.
This was a lot of fun to knit and I really liked the pattern. Of course I love anything that has a combination of cables and lace. I used size US 2 and US 4 needles to knit this. The yarn is Harrisville Designs Shetland in the color of Suede. I picked the yarn up from my LYS and at first I thought it would be too stiff and scratchy but it did soften up a lot after blocking.
My niece really loved the hat. She was so excited that I knit it for her! I am so glad because I know how hard it is to please thirteen year-old girls.
My niece with her hat on - Isn't she adorable?

2 comments:

Sue said...

I love the beret. Yes it is hard to knit for girls from the age of about 8 I think. Your niece looks so cute in her hat.

Anonymous said...

Your niece has excellent taste! And so does her aunt. It looks gorgeous!