Wednesday, January 14, 2009

If At First You Don't Succeed......

Back in November, before the holiday craziness set in, I had the grandiose idea of knitting Oliver a matching hat/scarf/mitten set for the winter. I found the pattern for the Norwegian Star Earflap Hat by Tiennie and loved it. I cast on for it right away and I was going to adapt the star pattern to a scarf and some mittens. I followed the pattern for the child's size, measured Oliver's head, was spot on for gauge, and it came out way too big. He was swimming in it.

Now that the holidays are over and things have settled down and we are stuck inside due to freezing temperatures, I figured it was a good time to revisit the hat. I cast on again for another hat and I made some modifications which worked out well because now it fits my son perfectly.

Pattern: Norwegian Star Earflap Hat by Tiennie
Yarn: Cascade 220 Wool in Natural and Ella Rae Classic in Blue
Needles: Size US 7
Mods: only knit 5 rows below the pattern (eliminated 8 rows) and eliminated 2 knit rows at the decreases, added a pompom

This was my first try at Fair Isle and its not that difficult. Oliver really likes his new hat and he was the one that insisted on the pompom because his other hat has one. So picky. I have no idea where he gets it from.

1 comment:

Sue said...

Arent Tiennie's patterns great. I love the hat colors you used and he looks so cute in it too.