Friday, January 13, 2017

Happy New Year!

This post comes a little bit late but I have been trying to play catch up from the holidays. Also, every member of our family has been sick at one point or another over the last three weeks. I must say, I am glad it is all behind me and things are back to normal around here. I completed zero of my end of year goals (from a couple of posts ago) but my knitting has moved into a new direction so I am not so upset about that. I always forget, too, that the month of December is always a wash as far as my knitting goes. I have so much else going on to get ready for Christmas that my knitting gets put on the back burner. I did complete a small project for myself so all was not lost.

It is always at this time of year that I look forward to the warmer weather and sunnier days and my knitting tends to follow suit. There is a particular sweater that I have had my eye on and that I have actually knit that I would love to re-knit.

This is the Yoke Detail Sweater by Debbie Bliss and it was published in the Debbie Bliss Knitting Magazine, Spring/Summer 2009. I knit this about three years ago. There were warnings on Ravelry on knitters' project pages that this was turning out on the large side. I did the math and figured I would knit the smallest size and it would give me a little bit of ease and it would turn out ok. It is way bigger than my math and my gauge swatch (and the dimensions given in the pattern) suggested. It kind of swallows me up.

I still really love this sweater so I am thinking I will re-knit this in a smaller weight yarn on smaller needles and do the math to get the increases/decreases right and hopefully that will work.

Another thing that really bothers me about this sweater that I knit is the fact that one of the lace leaves right on the front is completely messed up. As I was knitting this one evening on the couch, I got up for a few minutes and when I came back my cute little dog, that was then a puppy, decided to make a nest of my sweater. He was curled up right on top of it. Stitches had come off the needle and because I was knitting the lace part, stitches got dropped and it was just unfixable. I tried the best I could but I just couldn't repair it.

All in all, I think this deserves a second go. If done right, I think it would be a great spring addition to my wardrobe. I better start soon!

1 comment:

Julie said...

what a beautiful sweater! I can see what you mean about wanting it to be a perfect fit, though. And that little leaf! I didn't notice until you pointed it out, but when we knitters know that a knit has a flaw, it's all we can see, isn't it!