Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Nautical Stitches

When my son turned 2, it was time for him to graduate out of his crib to a big boy bed. Now that he is almost 4, I still have baby decorations in his room that went with his nursery. I am finding it difficult to find stuff for his age to decorate with. I can find things for babies and things for teens but not a lot of stuff in between. So I thought I would try my hand at making things. When I got the Spring/Summer issue of the Debbie Bliss Magazine, I found a chart for an anchor for an intarsia knitted pillow and thought that I could use it for a cross stitch pattern. I check out the blog Feeling Stitchy sometimes and I am a big fan of all of the creative embroidery I see on there and I got a little bit inspired. Although I have never cross stitched before, I found it easy, quick, and fun.

So I decided on a Nautical theme, which I think is totally cute for a little boy. I had to modify the pattern a little bit so that it would translate better into cross stitch. The anchor needed to be shortened and widened a bit.

I also added "Ahoy Matey" under the anchor. Let me tell you - there are a lot of cross stitch alphabets out there. I had to look at a lot before I found the right one for this project.

I found those cute little buoys at The Shell Shop in Provincetown when we went to the Cape earlier in the summer. His room is still a work in progress - I have a few more crafty ideas so there will be more to come!

3 comments:

amore mamma said...

Cool! And the perfect place for LIGHTHOUSE pictures!

Anonymous said...

cute! You have a great deal of patience to be able to sit and squint at cross stitching. I gave up that hobby pretty quickly.

Julie said...

wow, the room looks amazing! that cross stitch is great- I used to cross stitch, but I find it very slow going.